Created for Community
In the well-known movie, Castaway, FedEx employee Chuck Noland is marooned on an uninhabited island after his plane crashes in the South Pacific Ocean. In the film, a volleyball named Wilson becomes Chuck’s imaginary friend and companion during the four years he spends marooned on the island. If you have seen the movie, you can recall the devastating moment when Wilson floats away from Chuck into the vast ocean. I can still vividly recall Chuck’s pained cry: “WILLLSOOOOOON!”.
Although Castaway is fiction, this particular story line points to the reality of our need for companionship. God has created us to do life with others. Paul Tripp puts it like this, “We weren’t created to be independent, autonomous, or self-sufficient. We were made to live in a humble, worshipful, and loving dependency upon God and in a loving and humble interdependency with others. Our lives were designed to be community projects.”
The beautiful thing about being a Christian is that we are not alone, but are part of the family of God; the church. God places us in this family, for our good, for the good of others, and for His glory.
Indeed, praise God that we have much more than a volleyball to share our lives with! God has placed us in a community, a family; the church. There are many ways that we can be involved with others at BPCC, the most obvious of course being our weekly Sunday services. And during the week there are further opportunities where we can be with our church family, whether that is in a Growth Group, a service team, or just meeting up with one or more people to pray and read the Bible together.
There is so much going on in the life of BPCC and I hope you will make a way to be involved, for your good, the good of others, and for the glory of God. If you want to know more about what is happening at BPCC, check out our website (bpcc.com.au), link up with us on social media (Facebook and Instagram), or talk to someone at the Connections Centre this Sunday.
God Bless you, friends!
OPPORTUNITIES TO CONNECT:
- Worship & Prayer – Tuesday 18th June
- Connect Sunday (after AM and before PM services)– Sunday 7th July
- Men’s Breakfast – Saturday 29th June at ‘The Park’
- Ladies Day Out – Saturday 10th August (New Life Fundraiser)
- Ladies Day – Saturday 31st August
- Ladies Retreat – 28-29th September (Frederick Marsden)
- Senior’s Craft Group – Fortnightly Tuesday’s 9am
- Senior’s Game Morning – 2nd and 4th Wednesday’s 9.30am
- Young Adults – Monday’s 7pm
- Young Adults Retreat – 21-23rd June (Camp Somerset)
- Young Adults Convention – 4-9th January (Mapleton)
- Growth Groups during the week (see website for details)
- Youth Group – Friday’s 7pm during school term
- GEMS (for girls year 1-6) – Fortnightly Thursday’s 6:30pm
- Cadets (for boys year 2-6) – Fortnightly Thursday’s 7pm
- Play Group (Mums and children aged 0 to school age) – Tuesday’s 9-11 during school term